What about
http://projects.theforeman.org/projects/foreman/wiki/How_to_Create_a_Plugin#Altering-the-menu
?
It discusses menu alteration quite extensively. Also many plugins are
altering the menu, Katello for example. Although Katello is pretty
complicated for a first glance.
We have an example even in our plugin template:
https://github.com/theforeman/foreman_plugin_template/blob/master/lib/foreman_plugin_template/engine.rb#L32