On Fri, Sep 01, 2017 at 07:27:23PM -0400, Eric D Helms wrote:
Howdy,

Some quick background, for those that don't know a majority of our Jenkins
job configuration are stored in git. I find our Jenkins job configuration
to be important for developers to be able to understand and contribute
changes. However, today, these configurations are stored deep inside the
foreman-infra [1] repository. I am proposing one of two ideas to bring
these to the forefront:

1) Move them to the top of foreman-infra under a "jenkins" or "jobs" folder
2) Move them to their own repository (e.g. foreman-ci)

[1]
https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-infra/tree/master/puppet/modules/jenkins_job_builder/files/theforeman.org

+1 on bringing them to the forefront. The question where to put them is, for better or worse, tightly coupled to the way we deploy them. Currently it's puppet. If you move them to the top it can still be deployed easily with a symlink or other scripting magic.

Splitting to their own repository makes it harder to re-use the puppet deployment pipeline and we'd need to build a new one. Where would we put this? Usually you think of Jenkins when building a pipeline but having Jenkins manage itself might not be the best idea.

Given that background right now I'm leaning to 1) but I can easily be convinced of 2) if a more suitable deployment method is found.