On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 04:19:43PM -0400, Eric D Helms wrote:
Howdy,

There have been recent conversations that have popped up on PRs, for
example [1], and IRC conversations around whether or not our RPM packages
should be performing database actions and restarting services. This thread
is intended to gather feedback and view points to arrive a community
decision on whether or not we should continue this behavior, alter it with
limitation or out right get rid of it.

This mostly happens within Foreman and some plugins, and the actions
performed today:

* database migrations
* database seeds
* apipie cache
* httpd restart
* foreman-tasks restart

There may be others, these are the ones I am aware of. The history of these
actions, as I understand it, is so that in theory you can yum install a
plugin and, without further action, the Foreman server continue to run now
with your plugin.

Now, for my personal view point. Our application stack is fairly complex,
and there are a decently large number high percentage install plugins and
ecosystem of plugins in general. Plugins performing these sorta actions as
part of yum install has the potential to create unintended consequences. We
have created an idempotent installer to manage our server installations for
a reason, to help orchestrate changes, provide a framework for known and
coordinated change. And that these types of actions should be strictly
relegated to it.

I encourage all Foreman and plugin developers to please weigh in so that we
may reach consensus.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

[1] https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-packaging/pull/1761

While I generally like it when a yum install just works(tm), I do get the feeling that doing it for every plugin causes a lot of extra load that shouldn't be needed. Ideally you could queue up tasks like a rake db:migrate, apipie:cache:index and restart until everything is done but I'm not sure yum can do this and if so how well that'll work.

Another question I have is whether the apipie cache can be incrementally generated or if it's a full regenerate every time.