Dear Sandeep,

It is a technical discussioon that is not interesting to the vast majority of
GAP Forum
users. I suggest we move it elsewhere, e.g. to github issues for the
repository which contents we are discussing.
My apologies to GAP Forum users.

Having said that, I maintain that ssh is a more secure protocol than https,
and in particular if you use the two-factor authentication on github,
(some of us do use it, e.g. I do) one needs to jump extra hoops to push over
https.

On Tue, Mar 03, 2015 at 07:33:18PM +1100, Sandeep Murthy wrote:
> I was referring to the Git protocol you are using when you do something like
>
>     git clone git://github.com/<user name>/<repo name>
>
> Of course this is not GitHub’s as such.
>
> You can use SSH but key management can be just as problematic, or

Problematic? Why? Https is problematic indeed, being cracked by various
governments
and who knows who else...
Of course if the guthub server was taken over by malicious hackers, we'd all be
doomed,
and neither https nor ssh would help making sure that the code you clone from
there
does not contain "interesting" parts. :-)

> if you forget that really long passphrase you used when you first generated
> the
> keys.
sure, you can forget your github password too.

Dima