Dear Forum,

Thank you all for your help. I seem to find myself running in circles with this
topic. Could someone help me understand why it is not sufficient for a sporadic
group G that if:

1) G = <g_1,g_2,g_3>, with g_i an element of a rational conjugacy class.
2) g_1*g_2*g_3 = 1
3) The symmetrised structure constant (as defined in the response by Thomas)
equals 1.
4)
that simply that for a sporadic group G, finding a triple generator
<g_1,g_2,g_3> = G with g_1*g_2*g_3 = 1, and the symmetrised structure constant
(as being defined in the previous response of Thomas) being equal to 1 does not
sufficiently determine rational rigidity (i.e that G is a Galois group over Q)?

I have looked at the book by Lax and at Page 132 (Theorem 2.5.19) and isn't the
above essentially what it is saying; that if one can realize a centreless group
(true for sporadic groups) as a rigid tuple of rational conjugacy classes then
the group G is Galois over Q?

Best,

John