A symbol in Ruby is usually a colon, followed by an identifier:
:abc or a colon followed by an operator: :-. If you
could catch at least these cases, it would be helpful already.

It can also be a colon, immediately followed by a string: :"a  b".
You need this if your symbol contains spaces. This is a symbol where the printed
representation has an 'a', followed by two spaces, and then an 'b'.

The string can have single or double quotes: :'a  b'

You can also use %s(a  b) instead. As with all the %-constructs in
Ruby, you can choose the delimiters. %s[a  b] or %sqa
bq would denote the same symbol. In the last example, the delimiter is
the letter q. I can choose it as a delimiter, because the symbol
itself does not contain a q.

The idea with these delimiters is similar to regular expressions
%r(....), and you find the same concept in the syntax of, say,
Perl, so my guess you can steal some highlighting code from the way the Perl
highlighter works.

--
Ronald Fischer (Germany)

<https://forum.pspad.com/read.php?2,74180,74185>