FWIW:
The strange characters always replaces a closing bracket }
I just experienced this bug in a file which was just opened, and added about
five lines of php code to. It was a file which contained html, css, js and php.

My take on this is that this either has something to do with the syntax
autocomplete, or/and syntax reading and coloring/formatting.
And, since it occurs so often, it may be caused by/or cause the memory access
violation bug too?

Just my 2c.

You do a great job, Jan Fiala! I've been using this prog for more than a decade
now.
regards,
Mog

--