On Apr 4, 2017, at 7:33 AM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

> They are now down to $40 USD to purchase the domain.

That’s cheap, as squatted-upon .coms go. :)

> adding fossil-scm.com is just
> one more DNS entry to maintain.

Yup.  You’ll burn through another $40 soon enough that way.

> I am open to acquiring fossil-scm.com (and pointing it to exactly the same
> webserver as fossil-scm.org) if others think that would be a good idea.

I’ve never mistyped the domain myself, but then, it’s always in my browser’s
URL cache, because I return often enough.

Another argument is that the sort of Internet user who is confused by non-.com
domains is not generally the Fossil sort of Internet user.

If there is the slightest chance that there will be some commercial version of
Fossil, you might want the .com to host a different version of the site.  (e.g.
“open core” model.)

Maybe the .com is just where you host the tip jar? :)