Hi Matt,
Thanks for your clarifications and feedback.  It's always good to have
different perspectives and explanations on the mailing list.  See more below...

I have been using the term "source install" to refer to an installation done
with the release source tarball available from sourceforge
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/fossology/files/fossology/1.2.1/fossology-1.2.1.tar.gz/download).
  I will be more clear about this in the future.

> > Please let us know how this worked.  You are the first person trying
> > upgrade from a  1.1.x release to a 1.2.1 release.
>
> But plenty have done 1.1.x to 1.2.0 right? There shouldn't be anything
> in
> 1.2.1 that would break that.

Correct.

Mary