(I think I recall having to do that.)

You will likely have to restart apache.

Per:
http://www.delizeka.net/eng/call-to-undefined-function-pg_connect-when-php5-pgsql-is-installed
you may need to add
extension=pgsql.so
to the end of your php.ini file.
I don't recall making any such edit.
Here's what I have (I don't know what any of these files do):
$ grep -Ri pgsql.so /etc/php5
/etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/pdo_pgsql.ini:extension=pdo_pgsql.so
/etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/pgsql.ini:extension=pgsql.so
/etc/php5/conf.d/pdo_pgsql.ini:extension=pdo_pgsql.so
/etc/php5/conf.d/pgsql.ini:extension=pgsql.so
/etc/php5/cli/conf.d/pdo_pgsql.ini:extension=pdo_pgsql.so
/etc/php5/cli/conf.d/pgsql.ini:extension=pgsql.so
$ sudo find /etc -iname "*php.ini*"
/etc/php5/apache2/php.ini
/etc/php5/cli/php.ini
So, that extension is _not_ in [either of] _my_ php.ini.

Hope that helps more than confuses.

Take care,
Pete