Nathan, 22/02/2012 18:38:
Thanks for the heads up, Robert. This boils down to a fairly simple
question for me - do I want to participate in the political
disenfranchisement of Iranian (and other) authors and photographers? They
have few rights of political participation in their own nations, and no
control over whether their government chooses to sign international
treaties. It's wrong of Wikipedia to take advantage of the unfortunate
situation of the citizens of these nations by regarding them as having no
rights in their own work.

Could you please define "take advantage"? Or, how such taking advantage could harm them (it's not clear to me). I thought it was more a way to "keep Wikipedia legal" also in such countries, to facilitate participation from there.

Nemo