On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemow...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Nathan, 22/02/2012 18:38:
>
>  Thanks for the heads up, Robert. This boils down to a fairly simple
>> question for me - do I want to participate in the political
>> disenfranchisement of Iranian (and other) authors and photographers? They
>> have few rights of political participation in their own nations, and no
>> control over whether their government chooses to sign international
>> treaties. It's wrong of Wikipedia to take advantage of the unfortunate
>> situation of the citizens of these nations by regarding them as having no
>> rights in their own work.
>>

> Could you please define "take advantage"? Or, how such taking advantage
> could harm them (it's not clear to me). I thought it was more a way to
> "keep Wikipedia legal" also in such countries, to facilitate participation
> from there.
>
> Nemo

I'm not sure how to explain that more clearly without describing concepts
you are undoubtedly already familiar with, so bear with me for a moment.
Copyright provides authors with a right of ownership and control over their
work for a generally fixed period; the idea is to give them exclusivity for
their own benefit for that period, after which the public has more or less
unlimited rights to their work. We can agree that the domestic and
international copyright regime is grounded in principles that are economic,
legal and moral. There are a small number of nations that refuse to join
this regime, and they share some traits - they are often failed states, or
states with limited or no meaningful rights of citizen political
participation. As a result, while Iranian artists may desire to benefit
from their work internationally, they may not be able to - and they have no
real recourse in their political system.

In a moral sense, if we treat authors poorly because they live in a country
where they are treated poorly, not only are we reinforcing that poor
treatment - we are benefiting from their disadvantage. If Iranian authors
were from any other of the vast majority of Berne signatory nations, they
would have full rights to control and benefit from their work
internationally. Should we benefit from their lack of freedom, over which
they have little influence? Or should we make the ethical decision to
afford them the same rights and interests that are afforded to virtually
everyone else in the world?

Nathan