An update: Steven Walling will be with me on NPR's Talk of the Nation,
today at 3pm US Eastern time talking about this issue.

In preparation for the show, I looked up Messer-Kruse's book on Amazon, and
I am pasting in the first two sentences of the blurb (bold emphasis mine).

In this *controversial* and *groundbreaking* new history, Timothy
Messer-Kruse *rewrites* the standard narrative of the most iconic event in
American labor history: the Haymarket Bombing and Trial of 1886. Using
thousands of pages of previously unexamined materials, Messer-Kruse
demonstrates that, *contrary* to longstanding historical opinion, the trial
was not the “travesty of justice” it has *commonly* been *depicted* as.

I am sympathetic to Messer-Kruse's plight, but these key words highlight
perhaps why this case is the perfect storm of conditions (ie. Achilles
Heel) for a clash in editing.

The ability of Wikipedia to absorb leading edge, "groundbreaking new
history" research is limited, given the emergent norms and accrual of
policy that has primarily served to make sure things are verified as a
majority view before it makes it into Wikipedia. There are good reasons for
this, since every hour of every day Wikipedia is bombarded by vandalism and
crackpot contributions.

But I do share Mike Godwin's concerns on what this means for attracting
editors and for Wikipedia's public image.

More and more, I'm convinced Wikipedia must focus on embracing a new
complementary culture -- an "invitation culture" that Sarah Stierch (of
GLAMwiki fame) really brought to my attention at Wikimania Haifa. We have
to recognize Wikipedia has a huge monoculture problem when the editor
survey says 91% of active editors are male.

Sarah told me as a female, she would never have participated in Wikipedia
without someone else inviting her first. And that there were many great
folks out there that felt the same thing because on the face of it,
Wikipedia is not putting in neon lights that it's soliciting participation
and there are many reasons to describe newbie experiences as "jarring" or
even "unwelcoming."

That's basically what GLAM can address and I think it is crucial to
Wikipedia's future. It reaches out directly to people who share Wikipedia's
mission about education and quality by approaching them as valued members
of a knowledge creation community to make Wikipedia participation
accessible. Wikipedians in Residence have served as the liaisons to make
that introductory experience smooth and empowering. Another area ripe for
collaboration is journalism, by finding a way to engage journalists in
creating content such as for the Oral Citations project. And,
coincidentally, both of these fields have a high percentage of females.

We cannot bank Wikipedia's future solely on the prospective lone
contributor toughing it out against the obstacles of complex wikimarkup, a
cumbersome talk page/discussion system, demoralizing edit reverts, policy
pages gone wild, and if he or she gets that far, a frightening
administrator hazing ritual.

For more on the GLAM, see the two page summary produced at GLAMcampDC last
week:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:GLAM_One-Pager.pdf

-Andrew