Birgitte, I have greatly enjoyed all of your replies in this thread;
this one in particular.  Thank you for sharing.

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 2:37 AM,  <birgitte...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I simply see the bigger concern to be: What if we don't add 1,000 new
> curators who care to learn how to interpret copyright law and 3,000 new
> contributors who are willing respond to RfCs and participate in peer review?

Yes.

> If the underlying concern is that there are not enough veteran editors
> willing to educate them, or that these newcomers won't conform to our ways
> sufficently. Well then maybe the newcomers can educate us instead. We are
> great at some things we have done, but we are crap at a whole bunch of other
> things.  And was all trial and error to begin with!

Yes!

> obligation to pitch in.  I am certain SJ means community building as
> working together on a common objective and necessary education of
> any contributors new to some area of the wiki, rather than socializing
> for it's own sake.  Proofread of the month at Wikisource is probably a
> good example... Along these lines, I personally find community to be
> supremely motivating.
<
< I wanted to help the hard-working and helpful *people* I observed on
< the wikis long before I understood the full implications of the project.

Right.  Good faith collaboration, mentorship and inspiration are
essential to many contributors and many parts of the projects.

> I mean the collective of people,
> the collective which also sees
> this Marvelous Possibility
> which barely resembles the feeble attempts
> we have managed so far. I feel
> this collective belongs a little bit to me
> and owns a little bit of me in return.

I just printed this out and taped it to my monitor.

SJ