On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 16:43 +0000, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 17:24 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 23:09 +0200, Baris Cicek wrote:
> > > And whatever we do we need to do it quickly
> >
> > You are not going to put together a completely new system in time, using
> > Drupal or anything else. That's not your fault and you shouldn't be
> > punished for it. You probably do have time to try Expectnation and to
> > configure it as you need. If you choose to waste time twiddling with
> > ideologically-sound systems then the masses will blame you (rather than
> > the zealots who persuaded you) for it later.
> >

> I agree 100% here, just because we're supposed to have an ideology of
> free software doesn't mean we should be against using non-free software.
> Hell, dreamweaver is an awesome product! This logic extends further that
> if we are able to help Expectnation become open source (as a previous
> post suggested), then the way to do that is to embrace it now...
> Especially as it has features which are invaluable to GUADEC being a
> success in 2008!
>
> K,

Ok, we need to separate out a couple of arguments to be precise here.
I'm not against using non-free software if it fills a need that can not
be filled by free software.  However to look at this and say just use
Expectnation without having a debate on the board is wrong.  Murry's
been playing the emotion card a bit too much lately (I object to being
called a zealot) and others are ready to ditch free software solutions
without taking a bit to really look at the requirements and seeing what
matches up (no system so far has been able to streamline the issues of
moving money into and out of Turkey for instance).  BTW "completely new
system" stretches the truth a bit.  As others have posted Drupal does
have conference plugins.  Whether they are adequate is something to be
seen.

That being said, there is a requirement for the Foundation as the face
of one of the biggest free software organizations to encourage the use
of free software and foster its growth.  A hint of perhaps someday,
something might open up the sources does not enter into the equation.
That punishes the people who have worked on solutions which are already
free software.

So, let the board do its work and weigh the pros and cons of each
option.  We might in the end go with Expectnation or we might go with
Drupal or some other system someone brings to our attention.  If someone
has something constructive to add to our evaluation then please do.
Leave all the name calling and rush to judgment out of it though.

--
John (J5) Palmieri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>