On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Richard Stallman <r...@gnu.org> wrote:

>    The combination of technologies going under the name "HTML 5" have
>    made/are making web technology based applications finally competitive
>    with those built using conventional toolkits such as Qt, GTK+, and the
>    Windows and Mac equivalents.
>
> If everything gets done inside or through your browser, it would make
> toolkits such as GTK and desktop environments such as GNOME obsolete,
> except as platforms for a browser.

I personally use a lot of web apps and I still need desktop and GNOME type
technologies both on my desktop and my phone. (And my netbook.) We need to
develop GNOME in ways that encourages developers of web apps to consider it,
either as building blocks or as a way to have an app integrate with their
service.

We need to work on things like:

a) Making our apps more web friendly, like Tomboy is doing with Snowy.

b) Integrating with web apps in ways that make sense. Like Diego was talking
about with Facebook. Like things the Telepathy and Empathy teams have been
working on.

c) Think about developing our own "free" web alternatives like
identi.cadid. I'd especially like to see an open alternative to
Dropbox/Ubuntu One.
But there are lots and lots of web apps that people use regularly that could
use alternatives. Social networking, finances, managing collections, ...

Stormy