> Do you have any evidence of that? My tablet doesn't have a fast graphics
> card (integrated Intel on Atom CPU), but certainly not one as bad as in
> your tablet (GMA600), and it's plenty usable.

I guess "usable" is in the eyes of the beholder.

> If you try to use it as you would a high-powered laptop, you could be
> disappointed, but I don't see this resource hunger you speak of.

If I run the same workload with xfce on my netbook or tablet then its way
faster and it feels snappy even with things like libreoffice open. If I
do it with Gnome 3 then the battery life dives, the machine is sluggish,
sometimes the UI stalls and jerks (I guess the compositor) and it becomes
unpleasant to use,

This is even after a few minutes before the resource leaks in the current
Gnome shell become a factor too.

Alan