On Thu, 2013-11-21 at 18:23 +0000, Allan Day wrote:

> >> Those old guidelines were seriously out of date and were desperately
> >> in need of a refresh. We have also been wanting to move the guidelines
> >> off the public wiki for (literally) years. I'm only embarrassed that
> >> it took me so long to get around to it. :)
> >
> > what was out of date about them?
>
> To be clear - their uptodateness was only one motivation for the
> rewrite. There's been requests to move them off the public part of the
> wiki for quite some time, and the old guidelines could have been much
> clearer (I'm not going to list all the reasons why). I think I
> succeeded in creating something that is much more succinct, and that
> people understand more readily (maybe that's one reason for the
> attention the guidelines have got). There were also obvious omissions,
> like the lack of guidelines on the GNOME name.
>
> For me the out of date part primarily related to the colours and
> sub-brands - none of this reflected current practice, either by the
> sub-brands that do exist or the kind of graphics we use on the
> website, flyers, posters, annual reports and so on. The sub-brands
> part of the page was also indicated to not be approved by the board -
> which sent a confusing message.

IMVHO, I would prefer if the board had approved the colors (I blame
myself for not pushing that when I was there).

I would not want to be forced to remove any the GNOME-related
merchandising I have because of the trademark guidelines became
stricter.

I checked and none of my 13 t-shirts with the GNOME logo follows
strictly the colors there, that includes the GUADEC ones. None of my 3
caps, neither the sticker on my laptop.

The only item remaining to be compliant is my mug.

I had the idea that the banner we made in Chile back then was kind of
cool. It made a distinctive mark in conferences.

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/