The problem is that we already have an existing method that uses non free
software that is easy and does not require expert help to host or join.
What we were asking for is an alternative free software service that
provides a similar setup experience to the non free solution.

Telling us that you have experts who can help set it up does not instill
confidence in your solution.

If there is no free solution that has a similar easy setup experience,
perhaps the GNU project should invest in building such a service.