On 12/11/2004, at 11:01 AM, David J. Hughes wrote:

>> "You cannot base an alias port?s health on the health of a UDP port 
>> or a port that is not well-known to the ServerIron."
>
> Wow!  I've seen some "odd" things on the SI's but that one just about 
> takes the cake.  Logic, useability, and firmware development 
> strategies are obviously mutually exclusive :)

It's not every day I reply to my own posts ;-)

But, on this "well known tcp port" business, I just remembered that 
when we did our initial testing of using master-port configuration we 
did it using dummy SMTP servers running on port 26 - and it worked just 
fine.  Now, TCP 26 doesn't appear to be too well known to me.  That was 
on a pair of SI-100's running WSR08100m.  Might be worth actually 
trying it before discarding the idea.


David
...

Reply via email to