Very familiar behaviour, cam runs out cpu kicks in to handle packets, something the Bigiron really isn't good at (read: sucks at) and connections start dropping, vlans flap on and off, sessions reset, etc..

If I look at that output you attached (it shows plenty of info to debug this :-), L4 cam is low on several blades/slots (the number behind the 'free' is the magical number here you do not want to see at or near 0):

L4 pool 0 index range:
  (sw) 48640 - 49151    (0x0be00 - 0x0bfff), free 4 (0x00004)
  (hw) 32256 - 32767    (0x07e00 - 0x07fff)

Monitor if this is stable at 4 or hops up and down between 0 and whatever.., you have this on several slots/blades for the various L4 parts (there's even one at 0)

L4 pool 3 index range:
  (sw) 40960 - 43519    (0x0a000 - 0x0a9ff), free 0 (0x00000)
  (hw) 24576 - 27135    (0x06000 - 0x069ff)


So it seems you do a lot with ACL lists and these are using up a major part of your CAM, yet I see L2 and L3 CAM being happily in the 1000's free.., so I suggest you repartition your cam space to assign more L4 CAM and less L2+L3 CAM (this will require a reload of your Bigiron)

Currently 25% of you CAM is designated for L4 purposes (Layer4 = 8192 (0.5Mbits) (25%)), so you need to increase this

You can do this globally on your device when in config mode with:
cam-partition l2 5 l3 20 l4 75

This will assign 5% to L2, 20% to L3 and 75% to L4, see if this resolves your problems (make sure the L2 and L3 don't get too low either, you need to balance some magic between these numbers)


On 5/20/10 9:04 PM, Fabio Mendes wrote:
Hello Guys,

We are facing a strange situation on a customer.

During random periods, BigIron syslogs this kind of message:

May 20 15:24:13:I:System: CPU protection action2 deactivated at 000b7e00
May 20 15:23:48:I:System: CPU protection action2 activated at 000b7d00
May 20 15:23:22:I:System: CPU protection action2 deactivated at 000b7c00
May 20 15:22:57:I:System: CPU protection action2 activated at 000b7b00
May 20 15:22:31:I:System: CPU protection action2 deactivated at 000b7a00
May 20 15:22:05:I:System: CPU protection action2 activated at 000b7900
May 20 15:21:40:I:System: CPU protection action2 deactivated at 000b7800
May 20 15:21:14:I:System: CPU protection action2 activated at 000b7700

--

Met vriendelijke groet,

Jeroen Wunnink,
EasyHosting B.V. Systeembeheerder
[email protected]

telefoon:+31 (035) 6285455              Postbus 48
fax: +31 (035) 6838242                  3755 ZG Eemnes

http://www.easyhosting.nl
http://www.easycolocate.nl


_______________________________________________
foundry-nsp mailing list
[email protected]
http://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/foundry-nsp

Reply via email to