Hello,

I would agree on the "basically".

As someone pointed out before, there are some caveats / limitations between the 
two platforms. The way I see it :

- CER : entry-level MPLS PE,

- MLXe : high-level MPLS PE,

My 2 cents.

Y.



Le 12 mai 2013 à 22:34, Matt Kassawara <[email protected]> a écrit :

> The CER is basically a 1U MLX/XMR.
> 
> 
> On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 2:11 PM, David Unfried <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Based on my first hand observation using a CER, the CER is FPGA based
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: foundry-nsp [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
>> Jeff McAdams
>> Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2013 11:24 AM
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: Re: [f-nsp] mpls + bgp support on NI CES2K
>> 
>> FWIW, I'm pretty sure neither the CES or CER are merchant silicon. In fact,
>> I'm pretty sure the forwarding plane on these guys are FPGA based.
>> 
>> That being said, the CES does have less CAM than the CER does, sip that does
>> limit scalability.  Otherwise the difference is in the licensing model in
>> the control plane.
>> 
>> I'll also say, my message to vendors is consistently that software feature
>> licenses are a negative mark when I'm considering gear. If Brocade/Foundry
>> people are listening, please take this message back to your product
>> management people.
>> 
>> Nick Hilliard <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>> >On 12/05/2013 16:16, Erich Hohermuth wrote:
>> >> In my opinion you either buy a cer if you need mpls layer3 or a MLX.
>> >> There are alot of caveats in the configuration and you have to read
>> >> the documentation really carefully cause some features are not
>> compatible.
>> >> The hardware is really limited in terms of routing instances (vrf).
>> >
>> >I don't expect a box like this to scale infinitely.  It's merchant
>> >silicon and this comes with reasonably well understood scaling limitations
>> (e.g.
>> >routing instances, port buffers, LAG hashing, etc) - that's the
>> >trade-off for getting the port cost down from what you'd otherwise pay
>> >for bigger iron.  It's just that as it stands, the box does not compete
>> >especially well with products from other vendors in terms of bang per buck.
>> >
>> >Nick
>> >
>> >_______________________________________________
>> >foundry-nsp mailing list
>> >[email protected]
>> >http://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/foundry-nsp
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> foundry-nsp mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> http://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/foundry-nsp
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> foundry-nsp mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> http://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/foundry-nsp
> 
> _______________________________________________
> foundry-nsp mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/foundry-nsp
_______________________________________________
foundry-nsp mailing list
[email protected]
http://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/foundry-nsp

Reply via email to