On 13 May 2013 16:29, George B. <[email protected]> wrote:

> The feature licensing has pros and cons.  If you need all of the features
> required, it is frustrating to have to buy the licenses.  If you *don't*
> need all of those features, though, it is nice not to have to pay for them.
>

No, I don't want to licence "features" one by one, as eventually that means
some will just drop off the feature map and something fairly well deployed
in the larger chassis based systems becomes a "premium" feature[0]. That
is, unfortunately, how things would go if you proceed down that path.​​

I nearly kicked out a sales guy from a pitch for suggesting that "ports on
demand" was a good proposition for the customer[1]. I detest the continual
warning messages I get in the syslog from a factory fresh ICX6450 saying
that I haven't bought a POD licence for 10G ports 2/4. I know I haven't.
There's no SFP+ in there! Instead, I have to manually set the ports to
gig-mode to get them to shut up.

Compared to licensing hardware ports, software features are just another
reason not to buy equipment if an alternative vendor has it in their base
package.

M

[0] That's one of the reasons I bought MLX-e instead of J-MX80.
[1] That's one of the reasons I bought CER instead of J-MX5.
_______________________________________________
foundry-nsp mailing list
[email protected]
http://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/foundry-nsp

Reply via email to