I have had pretty much the same experience except with a CP30, I was lucky
that it was on our Training Lab system and not Production (which I can only
reboot once every 10 years or so or year 3000).
First of all, I have stopped using cron and manually start the save_alls
every couple of weeks or so myself.
I had to use your Option 2 to correct the problem.
Tommy Keith