From: Joe Sanguinetti [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 04 April 2001 18:34
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: FW: Apache Web Server

For those of you that are using or are planning to use the Apache web server
on a Foxboro I/A workstation to provide information to your users, I have
some information that I think the user group needs to address with the
Foxboro Company.  Foxboro  is apparently installing a "Customized" version
of apache to allow remote access to the system as part of remote plus (the
successor to foxwatch).  Instead of a dial up modem a router is being used.
I think this is great and welcome any help and support that Foxboro can
offer.  Here is my concern/issue with how they are doing this.  Foxboro is
using port 80 (the default port for web servers) as the listing port for
their customized apache web server.  This means that if I want to install
apache I would have to configure it to listen on a different port (port 8080
for example).  This would then force my users to type in
http://servername:8080 <http://servername:8080> .  I asked if Foxboro could
use a different port and was told NO.  It seems to me that for the amount of
time that Foxboro is going to utilize the web server compared to the amount
of use that the web server I installed would get, that they should use a
different port on their "Customized" version of Apache.  The other push back
was for me to install apache on a different workstation on the node.  That
would be fine, but I have several 1 Box nodes that this would not work on.

        I am currently using cgi scripts with foxapi to provide real-time
snapshots of the system to operators, electricians, engineers and managers.
By using this method I no longer have to push a remote Foxview session to
individuals that only want a read only look at what the system is doing.  I
would be happy to share how I am doing this if anyone is interested.

Can the user group PLEASE comment on this.  I would hope that Foxboro will
respond if the user group pushes back on this.  Please do not hesitate to
reply back to me if you need more detail or do not understand what I am
talking about