While upgrading all your AWs to E boxes will probably alleviate your
problems it may not be necessary.

-- As others have noted, get PI and other programs (AIM*, etc...) off
the AW51A boxes, only the interface needs to run there.
-- Take a look at your API tuning -- B0193MD section 8 for parameters.
-- Optimize OM lists used by all applications, some explanation of
tools in B0193JB.
-- Optimize operator graphics -- especially if you have very complex
graphics.  Are you running DM or FoxView?  Look at grouping, overlaps
and overlap checking, normal vs overstrike text, fast objects, total
file size, etc...  If you had slow display callup before PI, this area
deserves some attention.
-- Take a look at how much data PI is sampling and how fast.  Can you
reduce the sampling rate?
-- Is your bottleneck specifically with the 51As or has PI added
additional OM loading to the entire system (ie, older/slower CPs and
gateways).
-- Consider adding 51D/E boxes in strategic locations rather than
upgrading plant wide.

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell

"Davis, Robert N." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This note came to me from our Decatur plant.  Any suggestions?

We are looking at a problem that is going to be experienced by other
plants
in the future. We have a Foxboro I/A system here on our Cogen plant. We
have
AW51s (A series) and V6.1 software. We recently installed the OSI PI
system
onto one of our AW51s. What was already a slow box has become almost
unusable. We have received a lot of complaints from the plant operators
-
especially about the graphic call up speed.

We have talked about upgrading the boxes to the latest AW51s (series D
or
E)
to speed things up. Unfortunately we are being quoted $100,000 by
Foxboro.
What makes this worse is that we know we can buy the boxes from Sun
direct
for 30% of the Foxboro price and Foxboro are charging us $50,000 for
software licenses. Foxboro are not being very helpful at this time.
When we
proposed buying the boxes from Sun, Foxboro refused to support these
boxes.

We are wondering if it is technically possible to buy the new boxes
from
Sun
and try to load the existing software on ourselves. This would mean
that we
are using the same software licenses but should get a better
performance.
We
have asked Foxboro about this and been told that it is not possible
because
we need to buy new licenses from Sun. We have asked Sun about this and
they
have told us that we do not need new licenses but they do not know if
this
would work.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience in this matter. Is this
possible
or
are we missing something somewhere?

All comments gratefully received

Bob Davis
Process Control Engineer
765-477-5317---Fax 765-474-9036
E-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]

intended
addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you
have
received this e-mail in error, and that any use, dissemination,
forwarding,
printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you
have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the TLNA HELPDESK at
800-404-2436 or e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]

- Now showing: Dude Where's My Car, The Wedding Planner, Traffic..