At the end of 1997 we had simmilar problems on our I/A-NT system.  At least
3 connections between a MG30 and a CP40 were lost.  The only way to
establish the problem was by toggling the source and find out that there
were no signal changes in the other CP.  Everything else seemed to be
indicating that there were no problems (no cyan colors, no OOS, ...).  It
was quite a dangerous situation for the application, because some
interlocks suddenly were not working anymore, although they had been
configured well (tested and worked before).
First level support (our local Service Engineer) and second level support
(EASG or EUROTAC from Holland) were envolved by encountering the problem.
By the use of RSOM some corrupted tables, in relation to the Peer to Peer
traffic, were established ==> mismatch between source and target files in
both CP's.  Delete & undelete, trying to re-establish the broken block
connections did not work.  The only way to become again proper tables, was
to make sure that they were build up again from scratch ==> sorry, but this
only happens on a reboot (according to our support engineers).  And that is
what we did to solve the problem.
The cause of the problem was a big question-mark for first & second level
support engineers.  The never had that problem before (sic).
Finnaly a CAR (980112) was introduced by our Company.  This was almost
immediately closed by Foxboro for the same reason, if they can't reproduce
the failure, than there is no failure (burke an issue ?).
In my oppinion, these kind of problems do harm the reliability reputation
of the I/A-system.  Here at the company, my internal customer, asked me to
replace all the peer to peer software-interlocks into hard-wired ones.
At this time, almost 3 years and a few updates later, these kind of
problems still turn up ???

Regards,

Eric Konings
Degussa-Huels, Antwerp

"Deo, Terry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@lists.TheCassandraProject.org> on
20-10-2000 22:22:29

Please respond to "Foxboro DCS Mail List"
      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by:  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>