On 17 Jul 2006, at 13:42, Marco van de Voort wrote:

That's not the point. The point is that I consider a solution, that tries to
collect this data automatically, worse than the current situation.

There's no reason why a default fallback to the current system couldn't be supported.

IOW I consider this cure to be worse (more likely to break a release
systematically and harder to support due to a lack of transparancy to end
users) than the problem,

I cannot see how this is more likely to break a release systematically. And it's only as intransparent as we make it (e.g., apart from the "compiling", "assembling" and "linking", there could just as well be a "Determining needed libraries using gtk-config..." message)

specially since now we don't have to recompile FPC
anymore for a lib change.

I do not understand this last part. Are you talking about dynamically loading libraries at run time or so?

Jonas