On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 01:57:01PM +0200, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> >That's not the point. The point is that I consider a solution, that
> >tries to
> >collect this data automatically, worse than the current situation.
>
> There's no reason why a default fallback to the current system
> couldn't be supported.

If it doesn't exist. But what if it fails? Or if a user pops up in the
maillist with a gtk-config related error? Do you really want to support
something that you don't control? _and_ at the same time have to maintain
the backup too?

> >IOW I consider this cure to be worse (more likely to break a release
> >systematically and harder to support due to a lack of transparancy
> >to end
> >users) than the problem,
>
> I cannot see how this is more likely to break a release
> systematically. And it's only as intransparent as we make it (e.g.,
> apart from the "compiling", "assembling" and "linking", there could
> just as well be a "Determining needed libraries using gtk-config..."
> message)
>
> >specially since now we don't have to recompile FPC
> >anymore for a lib change.
>
> I do not understand this last part. Are you talking about dynamically

No. Simple the alias stuff. See the original msg from me, last part.

- change a libname mentioned in a linklib,
- to conditionally add a lib (include lib a if lib b is used, like the libgcc
during 2.0.4 pkging, though maybe that must be static),
- or to change order of libs,

no FPC repository or fpc binary recompile is necessary anymore