sorry, it is also my idea :D
I recently written a new light db interface for firebird, to simplify
queries
and auto commit transactions (context)

  with pool.GetConnection.newContext do <- start transaction
    Execute(newCommand('DELETE FROM COUNTRY WHERE COUNTRY = ?'), [1]);
  <- commit/rollback transaction

I also remember MS DirectShow SDK (to write codecs) use an object allocated
in the stack to syncronyse critical sections, it look like our trick with
the interface