Jonas,

Thank you!
I disagree with your definition of what is optimisation, but I accept the FPC as it is. Being aware of the way it is implemented in FPC is very important to the other developers, and I was just making them aware of the danger. I am not saying you are doing it wrong (At least not any more), I am warning them that the problem exists, and they have to take some measures not get burned. I have taken such measures already, and the code seems to work with the workarounds I have implemented. I don't understand why you are reacting as if I am offending you when I am simply pointing that the specific implementation of the refference counting leads to unexpected side effects, and certain measures should be taken especially if you use the interfaces for thread locking. If there is nothing wrong with that why you are behaving so defensively? Nobody is attacking you.

 With best regards,
   Boian Mitov

Mitov Software
http://www.mitov.com

No, as explained roughly ten times by now it's due to some optimisations which we do *not* do, and that assumption is wrong in Delphi as well because this particular optimisation is simply unsafe in certain cases. So please, finally, stop propagating and endlessly repeating this misinformation.

See http://www.hu.freepascal.org/lists/fpc-devel/2008-June/014005.html for the full explanation.