On 14.09.2011 09:08, Martin Schreiber wrote:
Am 14.09.2011 07:50, schrieb Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho:
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 5:50 AM, Martin Schreiber<mse00...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Linux expects an array of bytes in filenames (no encoding, no utf-8)
AFAIK.

That's a nice theory, but:

All Linux distributions that I know use utf-8
Android uses utf-8
Meego uses utf-8

So, do you have any concrete example of new releases of Linux using
something different from UTF-8 for filenames?

Some Samba shares for example and there still are many "old" Linux
systems in the wild. Anyway, I simply wanted to remember the fact.

Another good example: FAT. I'm now as far to avoid umlauts and such when I copy files from Linux to FAT or the other way round, because with the default mount settings they are invalid characters in one of the two... (and I didn't yet bother to fiddle around with that ^^)