On Tue, 1 Nov 2011, Tomas Hajny wrote:

On Tue, November 1, 2011 12:49, Marco van de Voort wrote:
In our previous episode, Michael Van Canneyt said:

Correct (I had checked as well), but the only purpose that serves
is to check whether the system timezone info has changed.

This is something that normally doesn't happen unless you move your
system from one timezone to another or during system setup, so I
question the desirability of this check.

E.g. the US DST times have changed in the very recent past. Updates can
also
update timezone data.

The definitions changed just now for Russia (well, the change was
effective since the last weekend). I also believe that it isn't a
completely theoretical case. It shouldn't be necessary to perform this
kind of check more often than once a day though (the definition doesn't
change on the same day since which it should be effective).

I was also thinking along these lines.