  This is very strange:
I just installed the snapshot onto the big-endian mips machine
that I use to generate the snapshot.
This machine is the one that does generate daily testsuite results for
mips-linux.

  I just tested a compiler cycle (with DEBUG=1) starting from this
snapshot binary, and it seems to be able to generate a vanilla trunk
ppcmips:
ppcmips -iDW
2012/11/21 2.7.1-r1:23032

Is this a Qemu problem?