On 14/01/2013 13:54, ik wrote:
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Martin <laza...@mfriebe.de> wrote:
Actually not so much about the hint, as about the fact that in the below
example fpc extends the operands to 64 bits.

program Project1;
var
   x: cardinal;
   i, j: integer;
begin
   i:= x or j
end.
i is an "integer" type, and you try to assign it a number that might
have 64 bit value.
It might overflow the memory itself.

That is not it.

program Project1;
var
  x: cardinal;
  j: integer;
  i: qword; // int64;
begin
  i:= x or j
end.

Happens too, if the left site is int64 or qword.

I understand, the hint is about the fact that doing 64 bit calculations on 32 bit are more expensive. But that was not my question.

Why does " signed_32bit or unsigned_32bit " need to be extended and calculated in 64 bit? "or" operates on a set of bits. Afaik for the "or" statement, there is no diff in signed/unsigned?

---------
BTW, the thin text should really be changed. It is (from what I can see / was told) not at all about the result. It is about the operation. e.g in "if signed32 < unsigned32 then" there is a boolean result (Which I do not think will be a 64 bit bool?). So saying a "64 bit result" appears actually wrong.

   Hint: Mixing signed expressions and longwords will use 64bit operations