I've spent a bit of time during the past 7 years trying to figure out how to simplify things by avoiding cross-compiling. This page has many of the details:
  http://turbocontrol.com/monitor.htm

I think there is a way to simplify cross-compiling. Levinux is a small (~20 MB) QEMU download for x86 PCs (Windows, OS X, Linux) that provides a small Tiny Core Linux VM. I'd like to see something similar but with all the files and tools needed to pull the latest source code and cross-compile FPC (also with Debian instead of Tiny Core?).
  http://mikelev.in/ux/

It seems to me that such a small VM should allow a nice standard method that will make it easy to test and see things work.

I look forward to your thoughts and comments!