Am 27.09.20 um 21:50 schrieb Florian Klämpfl via fpc-devel:
Am 27.09.20 um 21:38 schrieb denisgolovan via fpc-devel:
See above. It perfectly shows why it is frightening (not the basic
stuff, but the transcendent functions):
- there are little libraries being really IEEE compliant for float128
- if they are IEEE compliant, their license does not allow to use the
code in the FPC rtl.

Ok, the license is the problem.
However I still fail to see why full 128bit support is necessary for 80bit Extended.

Not for 80 bit extended, but it would be the clean solution with float128 support being optional in some architectures (RiscV, Sparc64, PPC64). So if we change it, we should do it right as 80 Bit has the same problem: missing transcendent functions in software.

Of course, what we could do for the compiler (not the rtl!): to translate libquadmath. It is LPGL so perfectly usable with in the compiler.