On 27.09.2020 23:45, Travis Siegel via fpc-devel wrote:
On 9/27/2020 3:50 PM, Florian Klämpfl via fpc-devel wrote:
- there are little libraries being really IEEE compliant for float128
- if they are IEEE compliant, their license does not allow to use the
code in the FPC rtl.

I don't understand this statement.

How does having all the required functions for a certain kind of compliance restrict anything?  I was under the impression that if someone wrote those functions from scratch that there was no licensing issue.  Where's the conflict in that case?

I've read most of the gpl licenses multiple times, and I've never seen anything targeting compliance of any kind, What does this statement stem from, and how does it apply to FPC code specifically?

This would seem to indicate that no gpl license code could ever obtain compliance with certain standards, and I've seen more than once where said code does just that.  I don't get it.

Someone enlighten me please.

It just means that all IEEE compliant libraries that Florian knows are released under a license that does not allow to include them within the FPC.

Ondrej