On 31/10/16 03:00, Travis Siegel wrote:
On 10/30/2016 6:36 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

Hey, we even have an excellent news client written in Object Pascal -
just take a look an XanaNews! btw: XanaNews supports all the above
benefits and much much more.

Does this nntp client compile with fpc? It's written in delphi, and I've
been unable to find a legitimate copy of delphi even though I've
searched for one for years.  Either I'm not looking in the right places,
or nobody is selling one.  I'm not interested in paying $1500 for the
delphi replacement, even if it does run on linux.

There's copies on eBay occasionally, although one obviously has to be careful that it's legitimate and can be registered (if that's still mandatory).

However the real question is not so much the version of the language and VCL that's been used, but how many extra libraries etc. have been pulled in that are either no longer available or aren't going to work with FPC/Lazarus.

Frankly, I've always found the standard Mozilla family of clients adequate.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk