On Wed, 31 May 2017 10:58:29 +0200, Bo Berglund
<bo.bergl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>I always install git
>>from source code and compile it myself (like I do with FPC and Lazarus
>>too). Everything is then included - as it should be. Linux distros f*ck
>>everything up and split it into multiple packages. eg: git-core,
>>git-base, git-gui, git-subversion, git-docs etc.
>
>I also build my FPC/Lazarus installations from svn sources since a
>couple of years. But only on Linux, I have not tried it on Windows
>yet.
>
>So I really should go back to the RPi and remove the git I installed
>yesterday and instead try to get the sources (via Subversion?) and
>build myself then? Is it possible to get the GIT sources without GIT?

Stupid question by me...
I should use git to get git sources *before* I uninstall the apt-get
version of git. The solution is in page:
https://git-scm.com/downloads
as this command:
git clone https://github.com/git/git

I used it and it finished successfully in a rather short time.

What I received is the latest *development* version, but if I got the
idea behind GIT I should now have a git repo locally on my RPi3 and
should be able to retrieve the latest released version of git from
that, right?
If so how do I move forward and find the release, update to it and
then build and install git from the sources?

The apt-get version of the git I use now is:
~/ $git --version
git version 2.1.4

Seems a bit oldish so I updated the RPi3 according to the ProGIT book
section 1.5:

sudo apt-get install dh-autoreconf libcurl4-gnutls-dev libexpat1-dev
gettext libz-dev libssl-dev

Then tried to make as per the INSTALL file. Ran for some time and
succeeded.
So I then also got requirements for the other stuff:

sudo apt-get install asciidoc xmlto docbook2x getopt

But it failed with this error:
E: Unable to locate package getopt

so I removed getopt from the install and all other modules installed
fine.

Then I did:
make configure
./configure
make all doc info
make install install-doc install-html install-info

The last line failed as follows:

 $ make install install-doc install-html install-info
    SUBDIR git-gui
    SUBDIR gitk-git
    SUBDIR perl
    SUBDIR templates
install -d -m 755 '/usr/local/bin'
install: cannot change permissions of ‘/usr/local/bin’: Operation not
permitted
Makefile:2408: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 1

Is it not påossible to put docs and info below the ~/ dir?
According to the INSTALL file on the subject of Git install it says:

                Git installation

Normally you can just do "make" followed by "make install", and that
will install the git programs in your own ~/bin/ directory.

This is exactly what I would like to do instead of putting it below
/usr

What do I do next?

--
Bo Berglund