On 27/10/17 21:00, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
On 2017-10-27 10:17, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:> I think that a> reasonable approach is to select Postgres for departmental or larger> storage, or Firebird for something that's strictly local. Once again... why must Firebird always be reduced to the “only for smaller database needs” environments? That is exactly the point I was trying to make with my earlier reply. I’ve used Firebird in very busy production (Enterprise) environments with large amounts of users hitting the database server, and with large sets of data stored. Firebird performed fantastically well. So I really don’t see the need to reduce Firebird to only “smallish” environments. Firebird is a very well rounded database server, and the latest version introduces so very welcomed new features. What Firebird is lacking is a really good "management studio" style application. FlameRobin is currently filling that space, but I definitely see space for improvement (tracing and profiling, some graphs explaining the results, graphical execution plans of queries etc). Maybe this is a good business opportunely for somebody to venture into.

Let me put it this way Graeme. I've suggested that different servers have different areas of applicability, I've not gone out of my way to rubbish any of them. Now I'm sorry if I've startled one of your holy cows, but right now I've got my own problems and I don't see spending time correlating performance figures to counter one of your arguments- for which I'm sure I'd get minimal gratitude from your direction at least- as one of them.

If /you/ don't like the fairly inclusive and tolerant position that I laid out, then I suggest it's incumbent on /you/ to put together performance figures etc., and then I'd suggest that /you/ set them out on one of the PostgreSQL mailing lists asking for comments and refutation.

Because you might be surprised, but I think you'd find that you'd get a more courteous hearing than you're usually prepared to accord anybody around here who disagrees with you.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk