On 17 Apr 2006, at 16:52, Sasa Zeman wrote:

Inside total phisical memory of 128MB, Delphi compililation is very fast. That mean that process of compilation is optimized to work with available
phisical memory (at least under 128MB).

It may simply be that for some reason, Delphi requires less memory and doesn't reach 128 MB when compiling your project.

The same is case with command line
compiler (dcc32). I doubt it is contra-productive, on the contrary. Any attempt to work with swapfile lead to enormous performance decreasing, which
is currently case.

What Marco probably meant is that rewriting the compiler and Lazarus to work together with less than 128MB of RAM would be a lot of work, which would negatively impact work on other areas and maybe also reduce the ability to further extend and maintain the compiler and Lazarus.

In my opinion, FPC and Lazarus can try to ratioinally use available
resources, not to force developers or company to buy new hardware. Note that many companies still work with relatively old hardware and they are not willing for further investments (often mean replacement old hardware with
new).

FPC and Lazarus are each developed by a handful of people in their spare time, supports 6 different cpu architectures (i386, x86-64, ppc32, ppc64, arm, sparc32) and a ton of different OS'es (all of which also require some compiler support). Maintainability and extensibility are therefore much more important than memory usage and speed, although we aren't bad at all on those counts, especially if you compare FPC with C or C++ compilers.

There are no places in the compiler where we are allocating memory just for the heck of it, and we also regularly check the compiler for memory leaks. And when we see places where things can be done in a more efficient way, we do change them. But a target of max 120 MB memory usage for IDE + compiler + linker is quite something different.

Jonas