Krishna wrote:
Another thing, the code produced for the winemulator target is x86
code or arm code?
Depends. The Visual Studio 2003 emulator is x86. Based on the VirtualPC core product. The Visual Studio 2005.. um.. I don't remember. I know Microsoft provide an ARM emulator that runs dog slow. I had the emulator and WM6 images about 5 months ago in my last job. Testing against the x86 emulator is only good for quick tests. Nothing beats debugging on a real device. If you pony up the cash, you can do that with VS2003 or VS2005.

Let me just point out.. and this isn't a troll, it's my own experience: The end user does not care what your application is written in. Just so long as it works. As such, I would recommend Compact Framework and managed code for any Windows Mobile device. The memory footprint is minimal - all WM5 devices I have used (and we used quite a few brands) have the Compact Framework in ROM. Speed wise, it's fast. It doesn't crawl at all. Given the significant bugs Microsoft had in their native code SQL Server CE 2.0 - as an example of native code on mobile devices, C# and CF.NET make life far, far, far simpler. I found it cut development time down by between 50% and 70%. I can't even look at old code written using C anymore. Shudder.

As for the FPC compiler targeting CLR.. It could be done. But why would you need to? Use Chrome instead. Why reinvent the wheel. I see no advantage in porting Legacy Pascal code to a new disparate platform. Especially when said platform does things a lot more pleasurably.