Bee schreef:
TStrings is meant for GUI purposes. It's design and implementation are
not optimized.

Then its our task to optimize it more (and more) so it could as fast as Perl. What I meant here is using standard or default FPC's classes/units. ;) I don't count any third parties class/units/library or non standard attempt here since it'd require extra effort, especially for newbies or newcomers (to FPC).

Of course, I know I can beat Perl using my own optimized TStrings written in assembler by hand mixed by pascal syntax. But, that's not the point. ;)

The point is that you are probably using the wrong class (I have not seen your code). To do unique word counts, a hash table is more suitable that a string list.

Vincent