Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
Strange that you say this. We have firebird databases in production at more than a thousand sites, ranging from simple desktop installations to
sites with more than 500 simultaneous users. Firebird didn't fail on
us once.

Interbase 7.1 and 7.5 were very bad. Interbase 6 was poor.

Firebird 1.x was bad. We stopped using Firebird when the compatibility was lost. Like I said, Firebird was bad last time I used it - Interbase was awful in the 2 and a half years I used it. Guilt by association? ;-)

UDF was biggest issue. The database relied heavily on using custom UDF functions, as well as the greater amount of FreeUDFLib. It also tried to do *everything* in stored procs, which is a really bad idea IMHO. A server process would have solved a lot of the instanility, which were caused mostly by implied logical second tier issues due to the design mentioned above.