In our previous episode, J?rgen Hestermann said:
> > You can post an ad for a C
> > programmer and get 1,000 applicants, if you post an ad for a Pascal
> > programmer you might get 5, at least where I live.
>
> Yes, that maybe true. But how has all this started? As far as I know, C
> was not that popular in past (at least not on Windows). Instead (Turbo)
> Pascal was a widely used language. Suddenly this turned. May have come
> from Linux, where C was standard. I don't know.

As far as I saw it, it was simple:

- C was used in IT, specially in America.
- Pascal was used in engineering and science, specially  in Europe.

Engineering stopped programming by hand, and moved to Matlab and more
specialized tools. Moreover, there was a consolidation in IT, and many of
the surviving companies were American, with a C/C++ legacy.