On 7 February 2010 20:31, brian <br...@meadows.pair.com> wrote:

Creating symbolic links (ls -s <src> <target>) should suffice. But if
you want to do it the "official" way by creating desktop shortcuts via
the *.desktop files, then read the follow spec document.

http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html

For information on extending that idea and created menu entries in the
Application menu, then following the next spec document.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/menu-spec?action=show&redirect=Standards%2Fmenu-spec

You can also install the xdg-utils (normally include with modern
distros), which has helper scripts you can use to more easily setup
mime-types, associated applications, menu and desktop icons.

  http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/XdgUtils

With my current project, fpgInstall, which is a single file GUI
setup/installer application build with fpGUI Toolkit, I am building in
support to programmatically creating of desktop icons and menu
entries. Unfortunately the project is not complete - thus I am not
releasing the source code yet.

  - Graeme -