In our previous episode, David W Noon said:
> > ArchLinux does not use a System V init system, but a simpler BSD one.
> > And thus it does not use /etc/init.d, but only /etc/rc.d.
>
> So does the BSD init use run levels?

Yes.

> One of the major distinctions
> between /etc/init.d/ and /etc/rc.d is that the latter is segregated by
> run levels, so that each daemon can have a different environment for
> different run levels.

..  but the mark of the sysV layout is the script per daemon per runtime
level. Sometimes it is simplified by making symlinks though.

While classic (pre SysV) Unix (including BSD) has just one or two scripts
that handle everything.

Modern BSD (like current FreeBSD) currently afaik do have a script per
daemon btw, just not the added dimension of runlevels.