waldo kitty wrote:
On 1/29/2012 17:41, Lars wrote:
Anything that has Capacitors in it which use wet electrolytic, can dry out
with age. Old stereos that crackle when you turn up the volume are an
example.  In motherboards though it seems it's more a problem that
capacitors blow up and bulge out which is probably from usage rather than
idle age.

speaking as a hardware man, these components are easily replaced... in many cases, if the board's traces are damaged, they, too, can be repaired... i am still replacing capacitors on boards from that old problem where capacitors were purchased from manufacturers that fell to the capacitor espionage situation of some, what?, 15 years ago?

People who repair things are a dying breed. I'm waiting for spare cash, at which point my SGI PSU will be going off to somebody who claims to be able to repair it (blown semiconductor, no obvious major damage).

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk