Tomas Hajny wrote:
On Wed, May 9, 2012 18:26, microc...@zoho.com wrote:
From: "Tomas Hajny"

Do you guys plan on releasing the 2.6.0 version on Solaris and is there
a timeframe? Do you plan on continuing to support Solaris? I would be
interested in running both the Intel and SPARC versions if they come
available.
I'm not the right one to answer this question but I believe that this
depends mainly on availability of a maintainer for this operating
system.
You may try building the compiler (and RTL) for that platform and it may
work well for you, but you may encounter some issues.
I didn't find a list of maintainers on the home page and I don't know how
Free Pascal development is organized. Hopefully the maintainer will speak
up
and in the meantime I will look at the build guide you mentioned further
on.

My point was that there has been no official / dedicated maintainer for
that platform within the core team recently which is the reason why there
are no official builds for Solaris for version 2.6.0. Mark Morgan Lloyd
who already responded to your e-mail probably has the most experience with
these targets at the moment.

My main role is being a thorn in the side of the core developers when something stops working :-) However I've previously offered to host a (not very fast) system here for compilation etc., and the offer stands.

Another question is on 2.6.0 on Linux. I cannot run the fp ide because
have glibc 2.9. The error message I get says
fp: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by fp)

That is really a recent version! Even the latest Slackware from 1 year
ago only has glibc 2.13. Is this really needed or can it be built
against
my version of glibc?
It should be possible to build against your version of glibc, but you'll
probably have to do it yourself (or use FPC binaries provided by your
distribution).
There are no binaries provided by my distribution. It's Slackware! But the
question was, was it really necessary to use such a recent glibc?

I'm not sure what's the supposed meaning of "It's Slackware!" in your
e-mail. We do not actively track which Linux distributions support FPC
directly.

His point was that Slackware has a far more limited range of binaries and libraries than do more popular distreaux such as Debian/Ubuntu, but it has its uses.

Anyway, the particular glibc version was probably selected by the ld
linker when compiling the binaries on the builder's machine.

I'll check 2.7.1 on SPARC Solaris 8, 10 and Slackware 12 over the next few days. I don't anticipate any problems, and in the interest of getting the OP (who hasn't provided us with a more genteel handle) going I could mail or FTP him tarballs as appropriate.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk